Cold and flu are caused by viruses. When you become infected, your body starts to fight back and this defence mechanism leads to the familiar symptoms, such as a sore throat or a runny nose. Here are just a few of the ways you can help your body to fight off the virus.
1. Get plenty of sleep – rest allows your body to recover and helps you to get back to being fighting fit.
2. Eat a healthy diet – foods that are rich in nutrients may help your body to get over the virus sooner.
3. Drink plenty of fluids – water and juices help to replace the fluids you lose when you’re ill and prevent dehydration. However, try to avoid alcohol, as it can affect your sleep and may make dehydration worse.
4. Keep up the exercise – as long as you stay hydrated, gentle exercise may help you feel better and keep your spirits up.
5. Wash your hands – regular washing with soap and hot water can limit the spread of viruses, and may reduce your chances of catching another bout of cold or flu.
Please see your doctor if your symptoms persist.